Archive for the ‘ActiveSync’ Category
After a more in-depth look at ActiveSync support in K-9, I found there to be more issues than I had first thought. This post serves to point out the most major of the issues that I have to tackle before this will be ready to be released into the wild.
1. K-9 does not remember sync state after being restarted. The sync keys used by the Exchange server to know which folders and emails have been synced by the phone are not persisted. This may not be immediately obvious, but it causes K-9 to do a bunch of work it doesn’t need to, which will do a real number on your battery (as well as network usage). This problem has been solved.
2. K-9 does not use the Exchange server to send email. K-9 uses its own “special” outbox for sending email, and it does the sending. K-9 should be moving composed emails into the outbox on the Exchange server, to be sent by the server. UPDATE: My original thoughts here were incorrect. Sending is working correctly.
3. K-9 does not download headers first and then mail contents. It downloads everything in one go. This causes a major delay before mails begin to appear in your message list. I am not sure the ActiveSync protocol is designed for this type of usage. This issue will require further investigation and thought.
4. ActiveSync is designed to filter the number of emails fetched by date, according to pre-defined filters (such as “one month”). K-9 is currently designed to fetch mail differently. The user interface for ActiveSync accounts will need to be modified to match the design used by Exchange.
5. There are discrepancies in the truncation size options for emails between K-9 and Exchange. I am also not certain if it is possible to know if an email is not fully downloaded. This will require further investigation.
I will be tackling these issues 1 by 1 as time allows. At this point, I don’t really have any idea how long it will take me to complete them all.
UPDATES: I have found and addressed a number of additional areas where the design of ActiveSync does not really mesh well with the design of K-9. I won’t go into all the technical details. Syncing of email is now working pretty well. I am now able to use K-9 as my daily email application on my phone.
I have blogged in the past about the less than fortunate state of Exchange support in K-9. This is due to the fact that K-9 communicates with Exchange through and outdated and problematic protocol: WebDAV. WebDAV support is turned off by default in Exchange 2007, and completely removed in Exchange 2010. This of course implies that K-9 does not support Exchange 2010. Since I started working on K-9, I have had the desire to replace the use of WebDAV with the Exchange ActiveSync protocol, which is designed specifically for mobile devices. Unfortunately, this task was much too large for me to take on in my (non-existent) free time. Lucky for us Google sponsors the annual Summer of Code.
This year K-9 was granted 4 Summer of Code projects, including EAS support. The project was successful, and at this point we have “mostly working” EAS support in a branch of the K-9 repository on github. There are still a few small issues to work out, and a few small features to complete, but I currently use K-9 with EAS support for email on my phone. If you would like to build K-9 with EAS support for your own personal use, I am including step-by-step instructions for doing so (though as usual, I do assume some basic knowledge of source control and building java applications).
In order get the K-9 sources and complete a build, you will need a git client, a JDK, ant (you can also use eclipse, but I don’t include instructions for that), and the Android SDK (make sure it’s up to date). The first step is fetching the source:
git clone email@example.com:k9mail/k-9.git k9mail
This will clone the repository at firstname.lastname@example.org:k9mail/k-9.git into the directory k9mail. This fetches all branches in the K-9 repo, including the ms-eas branch where EAS support lives. The next step is to “checkout” the ms-eas branch:
git checkout -b ms-eas origin/ms-eas
This tells git to create a local branch named “ms-eas” that tracks the remote branch at origin/ms-eas, and switch to this new branch. Now you must build the K-9 source. First, create a file called ‘local.properties’ at the root of the source tree with the following entry:
Obviously, replace “/path/to/android-sdk” with the path to the Android SDK on your machine. The command to build is:
This will build a signed and zipaligned installer ready for installation on your device. Finally, plug your phone into your PC via USB and ensure it is recognized by adb. To install the freshly built K-9:
adb install -r bin/K9-debug.apk
If you have K-9 installed from the market, you must uninstall it first. Your new K-9 will be signed with a different key than the market version and Android will not let you install this new version if the keys don’t match. Alternatively, you can give the app a new name in AndroidManifest.xml, but that’s outside the scope of this blog post.
If you want to report issues, feel free to mail k-9-dev [at] googlegroups.com.